The Food department at The West Grantham Church of England Secondary Academy comprises one full-time teacher and one full-time technician. Our team encourage students to experience and demonstrate a wealth of skills that they can develop into potential future careers.
We support the school’s values by developing our students’ Creativity, Responsibility and Wisdom in all of our lessons:
- We encourage a creative approach to the foods we cook and look closely at the impact our food choices has on our diet.
- We promote a responsible and helpful approach to learning, through a balance of independent, paired and group tasks in lessons.
- We seek to foster the wisdom that grows from studying the world around us through understanding where our food comes from and the impact our food choices make.
As part of their work with food, our students will be taught how to cook and apply the principles of nutrition and healthy eating. Instilling a love of cooking in students will also open a door to one of the great expressions of human creativity. Learning how to cook is a crucial life skill that enables pupils to feed themselves and others affordably and well, now and in later life.
Team and roles within the department
Miss Phillips, Curriculum Team Leader
Miss Tennant, Design and Food Technician
- Health and Safety
- Basic chopping skills
- Nutrition and the importance of a balanced diet
- Food Choices
- World Food
- Year 11 OCR Food Preparation and Nutrition –July 2020
- Year 9 and 10 WJEC Hospitality and Catering
Please click here for more information of our enrichment timetable.