Charles Read Academy 4 – 2 West Grantham Secondary Academy


  • Ben Summers (Captain)
  • Alex Wasiluk
  • Luke Ruiz
  • Callum Smith
  • Kyle Smith
  • Tyler Simmons
  • Leo Shaw
  • Charlie Barr
  • MacKenzie Mason
  • Charlie Hunt
  • Luke Dunnell
  • Jack Slevin
  • Kevin Zerebecki

The year 11 football team took to the field for the first time this year acquitting themselves well, but ultimately falling short in their quest for glory. In blustery conditions, it was the home team that settled best, putting WGSA under intense pressure and carving out many opportunities. WGSA began to find their feet as the half wore on, with team captain Ben Summers pulling the strings. It wasn’t long before Leo Shaw found himself bearing down on the Charles Read goal, finishing superbly in what appeared to be the opening score of the game. After a quick check with his linesman it was ruled out by the referee for offside, and the game remained 0 – 0.

WGSA continued to apply the pressure, with Charlie Barr snapping at the heels of anyone within a ten yard radius, breaking up play and setting off Jack Slevin on a weaving run downfield, only to be thwarted by the home defense.  Unfortunately, disaster struck moments later when against the run of play Charles Read scored a well worked goal, taking the lead and knocking the wind out of WGSA’s sails. It was just the start for the home side, as buoyed by their success they quickly added two more goals before half time.

As the wind picked up and the rain came down, the game restarted with Charles Read again on the attack. An unstoppable shot flew into the top corner, despite the outstretched hand of Alex Wasiluk in the West Grantham goal, making it 4 – 0. This seemed to galvanize the WGSA spirit, and they roared forward with wave after wave of attack and were rewarded for their efforts. The ball found its way to Leo Shaw and he scored a thunderous shot into the bottom corner before wheeling away in celebration, making it 4- 1. Opportunities for Luke Ruiz and Ben Summers were narrowly missed before Charlie Hunt cut inside from the left and launched a rocket at goal, only to see his shot strike the cross bar with an almighty whack and fly off to safety. Leo Shaw and his trusty left foot then doubled the WGSA goal tally, making it 4-2.

4-2 proved to be the final score line as the two teams battled it out in worsening conditions right up to the final whistle. Although not the result WGSA would have wanted, they can hold their heads high and be proud of the spirit and quality of their performance.