The KS4 football team made the journey to Magnus Academy for their first fixture of the season. They had been in training the previous week under the watchful eye of Mr Martini and showed real commitment by arriving at 7.00am on Monday and Friday mornings.
After a brief warm up and discussion of tactics, Magnus won the coin toss and the game started at a furious pace. Magnus broke the deadlock after 2 minutes with a fine run and excellent shot over the goalkeepers head. The early running and pressure from Magnus created wave after wave of attacks and chances, and after 20 minutes Magnus had established a 4-0 lead. Connor Whitfield helped keep the score line down and was denied a goal by a fantastic save from a point blank range header.
West Grantham grew in confidence and began to establish a foothold in the game, some poor discipline from the Magnus players led to an enforced substitution before half time and the tide turned.
The second half, prompted by a Mr Martini inspired team talk and tactics overhaul, saw wave after wave of Leonard Cloxton left wing attacks, and excellent link up play with Archie Soper. The Magnus goalkeeper made 5 top draw saves to keep out West Grantham. West Grantham learned from their first half performance and improved in every area of the pitch. All credit to the team, they showed commitment and never once let their heads go down and were rewarded for the their efforts 5 minutes from time by a clinical finish from Leonard Cloxton.
Stand out performers from the game were:
- Ryze Page – brilliant handling in goal
- Archie Soper – captained and encouraged the team throughout
- Leonard Cloxton – excellent runs and cool head
- Connor Whitfield – Headed anything thrown at him
- Lewis Atilken – Kept their star player at bay in the second half
- Logan Codd – A bundle of energy
- Keanen Burnett – Busy in midfield
- Titas Aleksandravicius – Took a physical battering for the team
Final score 5-1
Second half score 1-1