Year 7 September 2021 Intake – Transition Meeting
All parents and students of our Year 7 September 2021 intake are invited to a transition meeting on Thursday 8 July 2021 at 6.00pm. To join the meeting please click here or scan the QR code below.
We look forward to meeting you all.
TRANSITION FOR SEPTEMBER 2021
We believe strongly that every child is unique. It is this belief which only serves to strengthen further our desire that they are made to feel welcome and part of The West Grantham Church of England Secondary Academy ‘family’ from the outset.
You can rest assured that we will do our best to fully support their move from primary. As part of this, our process will typically include:
Primary School Visits are an essential part of our process. Every student is visited at their own school by a member of The West Grantham Church of England Secondary Academy staff. This gives the opportunity for students to ask questions and discuss any concerns before their transition days and for staff to meet with their primary teachers.
- A ‘Welcome Meeting’ for all parents will be managed remotely via Microsoft Teams due to Covid 19 restrictions. We will invite all parents to join us to learn more about how best to support your child’s transition to us and our high expectations of parents and children.
- Transition days have been postponed to September 2021. Students will follow a transition plan for the first week in school, from 6 September, to help them familiarise themselves and meet all key staff. They will learn about routines and expectations that will set them up to flourish across the next five years at the academy.
- Enrichment. We encourage all our Year 7 students to join a club. This is very deliberate and our Enrichment Programme means that for either 1 or 2 hours each week students take part in a range of activities that they have selected, from sport, the arts, craft, study or STEM. We make sure that they have specialist staff, facilities and support to not just experience the tasks, but develop belief in themselves as learners and belief in the friendships that they make to support them on their way.
- A ‘Meet the Tutor Evening’ also allows parents the chance to visit again and keep up to date with how their child has settled in classes. In addition, the academy also offers additional sessions for parents to attend including things like: support with literacy, keeping your child safe on-line, understanding our reporting system, and others.
Further support for the process:
- It is also worth noting again that our students have a Head of House and Pastoral Leader. The Pastoral Leader role at The West Grantham Church of England Secondary Academy is a non-teaching post, which means that any pastoral matters can be dealt with promptly. This is especially important in the transition process, to ensure that all students have best possible transition from their primary school, and that they quickly feel a part of The West Grantham Church of England Secondary Academy family.
- Our students are also our biggest asset. Our Student Prefects help shadow the new students on their induction days and again for the first week of school to ensure that their experience is a smooth as possible and that they are well cared for. Our students really value and care about one another.